Monday, July 10, 2023

Review: Where They Lie by Joe Hart














Where do I begin? Where They Lie by Joe Hart was not supposed to be my next review. I have a list a mile long of reads I am always excited to read and share my thoughts (as if they matter). Lately, I've been coming across titles that kinda just take hold of me and refuse to let go.

Where They Lie crashes onto the scene with a literal crash. Yes, pun intended. An unsuspecting sailing enthusiast, fearful of his choice to sail as a storm brews in the waters, is stunned by the (intentional?) crash of an aircraft.

Enter Nora McTavish. News of the private plane's "accident" leads Nora on a quest to understand what went wrong. As a child protective services agent, she's unable to look away from this tragedy. Unable to ignore the guilt she feels having brought this family together, Nora searches for the truth. Why did this family die and why was one of the foster children being blamed for the tragedy?

Before long, Nora's search for an answer puts her in danger.

Obviously! Or we wouldn't have this novel.

First of all, I enjoyed reading Hart's Where They Lie. It's a fast paced, quick read that grips readers that are forced to see where this thriller leads. Nora's narrative is impeccable and encompassing... as far as first person narratives go. No matter how intuitive our antagonist is, they leave a wake of thinly drawn characters along the way.

Nora is a complex, damaged character, who begrudgingly allows us pieces of her life. If anyone deserves their happy ever after, it is Nora. Yet, Hart offers the readers Kaylee Volk. Those who have read the book blurb know that she's a big deal in this plot.

Kaylee Volk, a social media influencer, chronicles her life as a foster parent to three teenagers ripped from their dangerous homes. After having won the foster kid's lottery, one of those teens are blamed for killing the entire family, except Kaylee.

Honestly, I only mention Kaylee because she, and her family are the catalyst that moves the story forward. What secrets are they hiding? Why would a young, rich, married couple insist on fostering teens? Why is death more enticing than keeping up the influencing charade?

Where They Lie was an interesting read that kept me interested even when I wasn't reading. But... my gripes are that the characters are as flat as the acting skills of your favorite influencer.

ALSO!

I'm not sure if this mattered to Hart but using the "influencer" trope will ultimately date this novel. Yes, this phenomenon of average people making a shi*load of money is beautiful, it's also not sustainable. Kaylee was exactly who/what I think of when I see "influencers". The cookie cutter image we all have in mind.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Where They Lie. Joe Hart is a solid fixture on my list of authors I must read if I'm in the mood to be hooked. A solid read but definitely not something that will stick with me for long. Since this seems to be the beginning of a series, I will definitely follow Nora and her subsequent novels.

Copy provided by Thomas & Mercer via Netgalley

***

No comments:

Post a Comment