Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: The Disappearance by J.F. Freedman




The Disappearance is the first book I've read by J.F. Freedman and it's pretty good. I really enjoy a good legal thriller and this one definitely fits the bill.  The Lancaster family is rocked to its core when their daughter is abducted and murdered during a slumber party with her friends.  The evidence leads to an arrest of a close family friend. Let the suspense and intrigue begin!

There are definitely a lot of red herrings provided by Freedman to throw the reader off course but it's pretty believable once the true killer is revealed. One thing I did like about this book and stood out for me is that I never felt sorry for the defendant. Usually courtroom dramas have me wooed by the defendant and unable to admit they may possibly be guilty. This guy in particular, Joe Allison was not one of those characters. He's just the right amount of sympathetic and disgusting to keep me guessing to the end if he was in fact guilty.

Fans of John Grisham and Michael Connelly will enjoy this novel. It's a little dated since it's original release date in 1997 but that's easily overlooked. Overall, readers will find themselves unable to stop turning pages. Freedman maintains the suspense and mystery the entire novel. I look forward to reading more by J.F Freedman.***

No comments:

Post a Comment