Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: Unseen by Karin Slaughter

Karin Slaughter is back with the 7th novel in the Will Trent series named Unseen.  The novel begins with the a scene that comes so rapidly I don't want to even say what it is because I was shocked from then on. The scene begins with Lena and her husband Jared alone in their home in Macon, GA when all hell breaks loose. Meanwhile, Will Trent is in Macon undercover as a motorcycle riding badass that is in cahoots with drug dealers.  His newest buddies don't know that he is a part of the GBI (Georgia state's equal to the FBI).  While Trent is in Macon, so is his current love Sara.

Sara is embarking on an investigation of her own once she gets word that Lena has placed her Godson Jared in harm's way. Because Sara blames Lena for the death of her husband Chief Jeffrey Tolliver, she's been anxious to find any new reason to hate her. Honestly, the anger that comes from Sara at times seems so misplaced but since I haven't been exactly faithful to this series, I don't want to speak out of turn. But it's instantly annoying to anyone who picks this novel up and is unaware of their sordid history. Sara's interest in the case involving Lena leads her to question her trust in other characters she wouldn't otherwise.



Karin Slaughter does not disappoint fans with Unseen, the latest installment of the Will Trent series. There are plenty of red herrings, suspense, and intrigue to have any reader guessing and second guessing what the heck is going on. I did not foresee the ending and that's always a plus in my book. Slaughter's writing is so well refined at this point (even with the hokey dialogue) there isn't much else to do but to go ahead and read it already. You will not be let down.

I am a huge fan of Karin Slaughter's work so I was especially excited to read this novel. The only crossroads I came to with this latest title is the fact that I've only read about 15% of the books that complete the Grant County and Will Trent series to date. I feel that there was a lot I was missing out on with regards to the characters.  This is my fault and not the author's so I don't subtract points from her in that way especially since she actually does do a great job in setting up their past histories with each other as well as their own personal journeys. Just a warning to future readers, you'll be doing yourself a favor if you are able to take the time out to read all 12 books written prior to Unseen. ****

No comments:

Post a Comment