Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Review: My Inappropriate Life by Heather McDonald





I was in serious need of some reading that was light, fun, and interesting. With that in mind, I was more than happy that the publishing company Simon & Schuster provided an ARC copy of Heather McDonald's My Inappropriate Life. In the interest of full disclosure, I was not a fan of hers, per se. At least not until now after having read this book. I was simply a person who had seen her on Chelsea LatelyAfter Lately, and in a few pictures with my favorite Bravo TV housewives.

Because I had a general idea that My Inappropriate Life would be funny, there's always a chance that jokes can fall flat or someone is just over-hyped in my mind because of their association. Her association with one of my favorite comedians and tv personalities, Chelsea Handler, made me assume she would be awesome and this memoir would be "laugh-out-loud" good. I admit it's pretty funny and I couldn't stop myself from imagining McDonald living this very inappropriate life.

What's most fun about this novel are the weird stories she relays. My favorite chapter has got to be the one about the pooping in a plane fiasco. There's also the chapter with Suze Orman that definitely had me smiling to myself. Thankfully McDonald doesn't have to name-drop too much by including hilarious moments that happen with her friends, family, and stuffed-animal children.

The most endearing quality to this book is although she is a celebrity of sorts, she doesn't take herself or her life too seriously. Often finding that she's on the outside looking in makes her voice unique and relatable. Although she's seen on television, and is clearly more of a celebrity than some of the PTA members she meets, she still has to deal with real life. Real life is teaching her children what words are inappropriate to use, standing in line at the amusement park, and dreaming of being a Bravo housewife. FYI, I wish I was a Bravo housewife.

So please, if you're interested in a fun, light read and you are neither a child, nun, or mature adult, I recommend reading Heather McDonald's My Inappropriate Life. Now, if only I still had the energy to stay up late on week nights to watch her in action onChelsea Lately, maybe then I can consider myself a super-fan.  ****

No comments:

Post a Comment