Monday, December 2, 2013

Review: Bones of the List by Kathy Reichs





I've wanted to read a book by Kathy Reichs for a long time now. Although Bones of the Lost is the 16th novel in the Temperance Brennan series, I did not feel that I'd missed out on too much. Because I can't be bothered with anything on TV that isn't Family Guyof The Big Bang Theory I had no idea the series Bones was based off of this character.

Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist, is called in to investigate on the death of a young girl after being hit by a careless driver. Evidence suggests that the hit and run may be intentional. The girl has no ID and is quickly written off as just another hooker but there's something about this girl that appeals to Brennan and she's set on getting justice for this young girl. Along with "Skinny" Slidell, the clues lead to a possible connection to the businessman John-Henry Story or worse, human-trafficking.

My initial thoughts are that Kathy Reichs knows how to hook a reader. There isn't a lot of suspense to go on after the prologue but the narration is swift and moves forward quickly. One moment Brennan is explaining why Jane Doe's body should be categorized as murder the next she's boarding a plane to Aghanistan. Aside from it's lack of suspense, I got lost in the world of bones with Brennan for a few hours. I am aware of my limitations so I appreciate Reichs for dumbing down or speaking in English, some of the medical terminology. Big Thanks!

Bones of the Lost is not the first in the series so if its something that doesn't bother you, by all means jump in as I have. I imagine readers of this series have a leg up on the characters and their developments even though Reichs does a good enough job at bringing life and depth to them. The only aspect that was completely lost on me is the weird relationship Temperance has with her (ex?)husband Pete. They are beyond odd to me. Reading up on the series could have possibly brought more depth and understanding but...

As mentioned earlier, I've been looking forward to reading a Kathy Reichs book for a long time. Fans of this series will love this addition and newbies won't have a reason not to continue following this character. I look forward to seeing what else Reichs has in store for Temperance Brennan.  ***


Copy provided by Simon & Schuster via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment