Thursday, June 12, 2014

Review: Forty Acres by Dwayne Alexander Smith




Where do I begin with this review? I guess from the beginning.

Forty Acres is the debut political thriller by Dwayne Alexander Smith composed of a plot I never saw coming. Off the high of winning a civil rights case, Martin Grey is ready to live the good life. The latest verdict is set to bring the small civil rights practice he shares with his good friend Glen, into the limelight and some serious cash flow. 

Seemingly out of the blue, Martin is approached by Damon Darell, who happens to also be opposing counsel in the trial that has made his career. Damon encourages Martin to spend some time with him as he introduces him to a group of other successful black men.

This is where the plot to Forty Acres becomes interesting... and I admit...a little uncomfortable. Damon and his group of cronies are members to a secret society headed by Dr Kasim. Their intent is to reinstate slavery but only for white people. They insistForty Acres is their way of honoring their ancestors.

Maybe it's all the "black noise" I hear in my ears or whatever but this was wildly insane to me. I couldn't get past my discomfort for a long time. It made reading the first half a bit of a struggle for me. I don't want to give anything away but I'm sure some of their points can leave room for much discussion.

Once Martin is drawn into their sick fantasy, it becomes frighteningly clear that he does not agree with their beliefs which my also place him in harms way. There's no way a secret such as Forty Acres can be revealed without ensuring it's secret is safe, by all means necessary.

Smith's Forty Acres is a riveting story of a man who's faced with determining what his beliefs mean to him and if he's willing to risk his life for them. Martin is such an awesome character that deserved so much more development, but because this is a thriller, thin characters are to be expected. There were many moments I thought that the plot was predictable and then Smith would take it in a whole different direction. 

The one huge gripe I had with Forty Acres is the end and the countdown. That's a cheap tool used in movies and not a book. Sorry!!! Just had to call it out. 

Ultimately, Forty Acres by Dwayne ALexander Smith was quite a read. It forces readers to question their own morals and what they'd live or die for. I won't forget this novel and am even now questioning the absurdity of the thinking in some characters. Thanks Dwanye Alexander Smith for such a thought-provoking read. Fans of political thrillers will have to read this stunning debut. The point isn't that this novel is not likely or possible, it's the fact that someone out their wishes it is.   ****

Copy provided by Simon & Schuster via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment