Monday, February 23, 2015

Review: Mightier Than the Sword by Jeffrey Archer




I am a huge Jeffrey Archer fan ever since discovering Kane & Abel. There's a way he weaves a story that keeps readers glued to the pages. We become invested in the characters, the themes of good and bad, and the hopes that being honorable will pay off rewardingly. Having laid out my disclaimer and letting those reading this review know that yes, I am a fan, I am still hoping that my honesty will be honorable and neither Archer or his fans will stone me too bad when I give my honest opinion. 

When word got out that Mightier Than the Sword was soon to be released, I rushed to try and get any copy I could get. Thanks to Netgalley I didn't have to wait long. This is the 5th book in the Clifton Chronicles. It begins where Be Careful What You Wish For leaves off. For those who haven't read that book, you may want to look away and finish that book before reading this review. In the nick of time, the bomb that threatened the maiden voyage of MV Buckingham is taken care of all that remains is making sure there is no panic and the bomb is kept secret. 

As the book progresses through the years, the usual suspects pop up such as Lady Virginia Fenwick and Major Alex Fisher coupled with some new enemies focused on new plots. It seems like the Clifton family can't go anywhere without creating an enemy which is pretty ironic because they are genuinely good people. This is where I grow tired of this series. It's getting to be tired and repetitive that there is someone plotting against this family.

Because I'm familiar with Archer's writing I don't expect any grand literary journey but rather just plain old good storytelling. With this in mind, I was surprised that I struggled through the first half of this book. It was not as engaging as other Archer titles have been for me in the past. Thankfully, the book turned around and I became engrossed with Mightier Than the Sword. Trying to guess what obstacles the Clifton's will face entices me to read on. Yes it was imperative to see how Sebastian fairs with his lady Samantha or if Emma will remain the chairman of Barrington Shipping. 

Ultimately, this series can't be over. It ends jarringly. The ending is so abrupt that I wondered if I was given a faulty copy from Netgalley. Archer, you clever, clever man. Although I wasn't over the moon about Mightier Than the Sword it serves its purpose in moving the Clifton story forward while maintaining it's hold on fans of the series. I look forward to the next installment. Until then... ***

Copy provided by St. Martin's Press via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment