Friday, May 19, 2017

Review: One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline

One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline



I'm on the fence with a 3 and 4 star rating for Lisa Scottoline's One Perfect Lie but more on that later. Scottoline is a favorite of mine so I was anxious to get this read and it doesn't disappoint with the first few chapters locking down the reader. 


We're introduced to Chris Brennan who's living a total lie. Chris' intentions are not clear early but they do seem sinister. As One Perfect Lie unravels, Scottoline manages to maintain her grip while introducing us to more people in this seemingly quiet, peaceful town. Once the lies become exposed and the body count adds up, things get good... but not so good as well.

I was all for giving this title a 4-star rating until Scottoline introduces a quickie love story. I know she often times blends the genre of thriller and women's literature, One Perfect Lie doesn't have the same finesse I've come to expect in her work. If the point was to humanize our protagonist, it wasn't necessary. 

What is enjoyable about this title is that at no point was I able to determine where the story was leading until towards the end. And, I'm always intrigued with stories that feature a town that is bursting at the seams with lies and deceit. There is so much going on and keeping track forces the reader's attention. I loved following the stories of some of these town folk. In the interest of not spoiling too much, Scottoline could have made a whole 'nother novel out of the Mindy Kostis story.

Ultimately, seeing how all the stories merge and intersect kept me glued to this title although I did have to downgrade it a bit due to the mushy love story that was kinda plopped in there for no good reason. In any case, Lisa Scottoline still maintains her place as one of my go-to authors for a good read. Fans of her work will not be disappointed with One Perfect Lie. No lie, I promise. ***

Copy provided by St. Martin's press via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment