Friday, July 21, 2017

Review: The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg

First off, let me pat myself on the back for flying through this novel so quickly. It appears lately no matter how much I love or hate a novel, I still read it at snail's pace. This time was different. I came, I read, I reviewed, then conquered. With that out of the way... let's get to it!

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg is the second novel I've read from her. Berg introduces us to Arthur, Maddy, and Lucille. Each going through life, alone so-to-speak, but determined to make it better. With the company and aide of each other, they form a makeshift family that blood couldn't make better or closer.

Arthur Moses meets Maddy Harris in the cemetery he visits daily to have lunch with his late wife, Nola. He can tell there's something different about her and that she may be troubled since no teenager hangs out in a cemetery when they should be at school or almost anywhere else.



From the beginning, I loved loved loved Arthur. He's so loyal and in love with his wife. His purely good nature just oozes off the pages and makes you all warm inside. He's as sweet as the baked goods Lucille produces that melt in your mouth and heart.



Each character has their own internal war going on but they keep pushing forward with the help of each other. They form a bond that fills the void left after losing a loved one or when you wake up and don't find life has much purpose anymore. Even when you're young and life has no meaning for you, it's time to reevaluate things.

"Oh, Arthur, no one even sees you when you get old except for people who knew you when you were young.".

Elizabeth Berg spares no expense in providing well rounded characters who feel as if they are living and breathing, sitting next to me, as I'm reading their story. She even brings to life the grumpy cat to a point where I felt I knew him. Nola, who's dead lives on in the pages as well. Even in the moments that were heartbreaking (enter Lucille's story), the plot felt real and authentic. 

I truly loved reading The Story of Arthur Truluv. This is the second novel I've had the pleasure of reading by this author and she did not disappoint. This novel is inspiring and tells the story that even when the chips are down, there is hope in finding what we all are looking for.

Copy provided by Random House Publishing Group via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment