Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Review: The Cutting Edge by Jeffery Deaver


The Cutting Edge (Lincoln Rhyme, #14)

Back in the saddle with Jeffery Deaver and his crime fighting duo Amelia Sachs and Lincoln Rhyme. Although I've read most of the books in this series I can't help but picture Rhyme as Denzel Washington and Sachs as Angelina Jolie because of The Bone Collector movie I saw year before picking up the book of the same title. I know, I know Rhyme is nowhere near being a black dude but this is what happens when I see movies before reading the book. The actors used in the movie are somehow imprinted on my brain and I can't quite get them out. But that's neither here nor there. 

Let's get to The Cutting Edge and unsub 47. 

Jeffery Deaver begins The Cutting Edge similarly to how he begins other titles in the Rhyme series. An unwitting victim encounters a killer who shows no mercy. Unsub 47, aka the Promisor is no different. He kills with no remorse. Rhyme and Sachs are hired on a consulting basis to analyze the evidence and assist the police in catching the SOB.

What is so enticing about Deaver novels is that yes, they are somewhat formulaic, there's still no shortage of misdirection and suspense. The chapters are short so reading his titles are fast and easy. For those, like myself, who are familiar with the main characters, Deaver doesn't spend much time on them. Instead, we are privy to the inner workings of the deranged killer that's attempting to stay a step or two ahead of the Rhyme team in an effort to complete his goal. It's the moments when getting acquainted with the unsub I feel are the most engaging and probably the reason I love Deaver novels so much.

Those looking to read the Rhyme series in the hopes of some amazingly, well written, literary trope through the gritty world of forensic science is barking up the wrong tree. Even though I do feel like I was given a ton of interesting knowledge into the world of diamonds, that fact is simply a plus. There's nothing complicated here except whodunnit. I'm not even trying to be a snob when disclosing this information. I'm simply letting anyone who happens to read this novel and wants to dive into Deaver's world, there's nothing but action here. 

I suggest you strap in for the ride.

Suffice it to say, The Cutting Edge is a formidable addition to the Lincoln Rhyme series. I am happy to have taken this wild ride full of colorful, ruthless characters that may or may not have a secret hidden agenda. Jeffery Deaver grabs your attention and refuses to let go until he's ready.  ****

Copy provided by Grand Central Publishing via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment