Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Review:Abandoned by Allison Brennan

Abandoned (Max Revere, #5)

Allison Brennan's Abandoned sits firmly as a 2.5 star read for me. Abandoned is the fifth installment to the Max Revere series. Max is a celebrity investigative reported who's focus is primarily on cold cases. Up until this point she's never used her vast resources to investigate the cold case of her mother leaving her until now. 
Abandoned offers insight from the past as well as follows Max's present journey through her mother's sordid past as she gathers clue after clue of her mother's disappearance sixteen years earlier. And I won't deny it, I was definitely sucked into the story. Brennan offers an easy read that is littered with moments to escape into, there was just something I couldn't get past when reading this title and that is the reason for my 2.5 star rating.

This novel is fun. Everything is fun about it. The mother's disappearance and how it ties into present day events was fun unlocking. Being introduced to the quirky FBI agent who helps Max's investigation was fun well. Even the parts that were a tad predictable were fun to read and held my attention like a bad accident. What became not so fun about this bad accident I couldn't tear away from is the overuse of the word fun. It's as if Brennan had no thesaurus in site and decided to lazily keep saying that Max's mother, Martha, simply couldn't be bogged down with a child so she abandoned her only child, with her (rich) grandparents, so she could have fun.

Don't believe me? Read the book. There's "fun" here, "fun" there, "fun" is just about everywhere. 

I digress... as usual.

Guess I was having some fun with the word fun.

Anyway...

Abandoned was a... fun read. I don't mean that insincerely. I did have quite the time with this read and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking how all the dots would connect. Some dots connected sooner than others, but I'm pretty good at this mystery thriller thing. Fans of this series won't be disappointed. I just wish the use of the word fun wasn't so distracting that it almost caused me to abandon this title... almost.  **

Copy provided by St. Martin's press via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment