Wednesday, September 29, 2021

A Time for Mercy by John Grisham

 

It took me some time to get through A Time for Mercy by Grisham. Admittedly, it took me some time to get through Sycamore Row as well. Although much of Grisham's work has taken on a more political stance (that I'm aligned with), I've been searching for the his current works to be more compelling like A Time to Kill or The Client. Sadly, I haven't found that spark again. Don't get me wrong... John Grisham reigns supreme in list of favorite authors of courtroom and legalese drama. I mean c'mon, I have a certificate in Paralegal Studies so I live for the day I can come up with the precedent or overlooked piece of evidence that wins the jury and the trial.


Enough about me, let's talk about A Time for Mercy.

We're introduced to a (barely) teenager, Drew Gamble, who's been arrested for the murder of his mother's boyfriend. This piece of sh** boyfriend is a drunk, abusive, sadistic, and corrupt individual who happens to be deputy. When the call goes out that Drew has rid the world this trash, Jake Brigance is called upon to defend his killer.

Ultimately, Brigance is presumably the only defense lawyer in town that judges force into defending the ones who are indigent and indefensible. Fine! You can have that Grisham. We know Brigance is a badass.

Enter Brigance, a brilliant attorney with a fledgling law practice. Grisham does not waste any opportunity to remind the reader Brigance is broke. Even after winning the settlement in Sycamore Row--- should have said spoiler alert but that novel is really not that important.

Brigance is expected to defend a child really, for murdering a cop in Mississippi where it's blasphemy to say anything about the boys in blue (or brown, or whatever color they wear down there).

***Before I have the "BLUE LIVES MATTER" or "ALL LIVES MATTER CROWD" come for me I want to be honest and frank. I am a person of color who will proudly defend that Black Lives Matter... Those who are offended by that stance will find no argument here as I'm not equipped with the patience to argue with you. Those who are steadfast in saying the person on the accepting end of that fatal shot was a "thug" or "criminal" are beyond convincing. If the average person can watch and defend Derek Chauvin as he carelessly kneeled on a dying George Floyd, convincing themselves "ALL LIVES MATTER" have already ignored all logic and factual proof.

So... my reason in touting that blip into my personal beliefs is because we have Brigance defending Gamble, who is dead center in the bible belt, in a county that loves and will defend their police force. Regardless of the evidence that this officer is sh**. I'm not sure if this was the point in this novel, as I mentioned Grisham has taken on a more political stance in his recent novels, but we've placed the boys in blue on pedestals that not all are worthy of.

Ultimately, A Time for Mercy explores the topic of where the line is drawn. Gamble killed Deputy Stuart Kofer because he thought his own life was in danger after Kofer had killed his mother. Those who believe the boys in blue to be infallible would likely want to crucify Gamble. Unless Jake Brigance has his way.

So why the 3-star rating? I felt the novel was jut wrapped up. Ironically it took me some time to read this novel but it felt the ending was just too undone and too wrapped up. Doesn't make sense, right? How can something be undone yet done. Read this book and you'll find out. A Time for Mercy is a great addition to the Brigance series but I need the Grisham of yesteryear to be completely satisfied.

Copy provided by Doubleday via Netgalley

***

No comments:

Post a Comment