Thursday, January 17, 2013

Three Graves Full of Praise

Imagine someone finds a body buried on your property... then they find another body... and neither body is one you buried on your property. The story begins with Jason Getty anxiously hoping that the landscapers he has payed to fix his lawn, won't find the body he has buried on his property. Lo and behold, of course they find the body, just not THE body Jason placed on his yard. Just to add insult to injury, a second body is found, yet still isn't the body Jason placed on his property. Jamie Mason did a wonderful job of crafting this psychological thriller that just gripped me from the moment I read the first line. There is so much insight to the minds of Jason Getty, Leah Tamblin, and Boyd Montgomery. The mystery of how these three are connected is what keeps the reader engaged and how their personal struggles with the unearthing of things long buried, causes them to react in the present. Mason managed to write a debut thriller without the niggle in the back of my mind thinking, this is definitely the work of an amateur. The writing style flows nicely. Her imagery is spot on and the characters are strongly developed. I especially felt bad for Jason Getty who's one moment of standing up for his self turns out to be the one cross he will have to bear for the rest of his life. He's truly a guy worth feeling sorry for and loathe at the same time just because he has yet to grow a pair. Overall, I am happy that I read this book. If I've learned anything at all from this novel it is not to bury my secrets in the front or back yard of anyone's house. And also that Mason is an author to be on the look out for. The one thing I didn't care for too much in the end was how Dean Koontz-y it got with the dog but I see how it was necessary to move the story forward. I recommend this book for anyone who's a fan of the psychological thriller genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment