Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Amity & Sorrow by Peggy Riley

I had every intention of finishing the book I am currently reading named Amity & Sorrow by Peggy Riley.  Sadly I haven't finished the book so far but I am about 45% finished with it. Here's what I've learned so far:
Amaranth is found in her crashed car with her two daughters Amity & Sorrow by a farmer named Bradley. Amaranth has been driving for four days straight in an attempt to get away from her husband. They agree that she may have fallen asleep at the wheel when the car veers off. Sorrow attempts to flee and has a miscarraige in the gas station. This all happens fairly early in the novel so it sets the stage for the layers of their history to unravel.

Bradley so far is a complicated character that claims his wife has left him and is obviously hurt by it. Initially he is relunctant to allow them refuge in his home but his kindness is winning over his facade. So far he's my favorite character. Anyone who opens their home up to strangers that are in desperate need for salvation definitely have my vote.



The last thing I know so far regarding this book is that the girls Amity and Sorrow clearly products of their environment. Amity seems willing to learn about the new world they are embarking on outside of the Temple. Sorrow, the older sister, seems to only want to return back to their home that was burned to the ground. They have lived a sheltered life, with a family of fifty wives, and a lot of other taboos that revolve around cult lifestyle. There is a lot of information that has been given so far but I don't want anyone to feel they've been cheated of finding this information for themselves so I'll stop right there.

My feelings on the writing is that it's concise but doesn't lack the necessary emotional punch intended. The book recounts the past of Amaranth, Amity, and Sorrow yet tells how they are getting on at the farm with Bradley. The transistions between the past and present are seemless and easy to follow. Basically, Riley has me hooked and I want to know more about this family and what happens next. Until then, let's read!

No comments:

Post a Comment