Monday, November 14, 2016

Review: Good Behavior by Blake Crouch

Good Behavior by Blake Crouch


Fresh off of the high I got with Blake Crouch's Dark Matter, I was super excited to begin reading Good BehaviorGood Behavior introduces readers to Letty Dubesh. She's not your typical heroine. Actually, she's not a heroine at all but she is interesting.

Crouch invites us into the life of one of the most troubled and flawed characters I've read in a while. There's no secret that she's fresh out of jail after serving time for felony theft. From page one it's obvious we would not be rooting for Suzie Homemaker but rather her complete opposite. In 3 novellas Crouch forces readers to care about her story. Regardless of her criminal past (and future), or struggle to stay sober for the child she's abandoned and left behind, Letty's story is impossible to look away from. 

Because Good Behavior is comprised of 3 novellas, it almost feels like no matter where I begin my review, I could potentially be spoiling her tale for others. I will say that I was very intrigued with her constant struggle between good and bad, right and wrong, life or death. 

My one gripe with this novel is that between the stories were brief interludes with Crouch and his reasoning behind everything. After the first interlude I felt like I was trapped in one long promo for the newest show in the TNT lineup. Although this didn't stop me from reading on, it was a little on the annoying side. 

Suffice it to say, Blake Crouch has got my attention. He paints a dynamic portrait in so few words that it's impossible not to see him through. And, reading on is always worth it. Cheer's to another good read. I look forward to seeing what's next for Letty. ****

Copy provided by Thomas and Mercer via Netgalley


No comments:

Post a Comment