Thursday, January 4, 2018

Review: Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward

Sing, Unburied, Sing

Sing, Unburied Sing… What a beautifully written story of a family that I wanted to last much longer than the pages allowed. I was almost sad this one had to come to an end. I read much of this novel with anticipating the worse to come as Jojo travels with his mother, Leonie, to pick up his father, Michael, from Parchman Prison. Not only was I nervous for Jojo, but also the family left behind in wait, his grandparents.
Jesmyn Ward introduces us to Jojo who’s been raised primarily by his grandparents due to his mother’s drug addiction. Jojo is such a good young man who aspires to stand tall like his grandfather who seemingly can do no wrong in his eyes. His grandfather more than makes up for his biological father who’s family wants nothing to do with him or his mother. The tumultuous past these two families maintain is more than enough drama for a few lifetimes.

Enter Leonie, Jojo’s drug addicted, abusive, plain old wretched mother. I wish I had sympathy for her especially since she obviously has issues with her own ghosts. Outside of the fact that she sees her dead brother Given when she’s high, I can’t find much to feel sorry for her for. She’s a sorry excuse for a mother. Sorry… not sorry. It’s a blessing to have a son as standup as Jojo yet she’s too blinded by her love for Michael to see that.

Sing, Unburied, Sing is a spoiler minefield so I will keep this review brief. Ward writes an impressive novel with authentically rich characters (some alive and some not). Reading their history how it has shaped them into the people they are today was a joy. Even during the difficult parts in this book, the sense of hope still reached me in a way no other book has done in a long time. I can usually mention a gripe in most novels but for this one, I don’t think there were any. Except Leonie, but I am reminded that she too has her own ghosts to deal with. 

Ultimately, Sing, Unburied, Sing makes me look forward to reading future novels from Jesmyn Ward and to seek out the ones I’ve missed. ****

Copy provided by Scribner Publishing via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment