Friday, January 5, 2018

Review:Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella

Surprise Me

When I was asked to read and review Sophie Kinsella's Surprise Me, I was bouncing off the walls with excitement. I loved The Undomestic Goddess and Confessions of a Shopaholic. Both novels featured a charmingly befuddled British female lead that begs the average woman to root for. Sure, I know they're a tad bit aloof, but it's cute. I'm no feminist so I can appreciate these characters for what and who they are: Fun!
I devoured my last read of 2017 knowing I'd begin 2018 with Kinsella's heroine, Sylvie Winter, of Surprise Me. I allotted her the first read of the year because I knew, just knew, I was in store for a great pick-me-up featuring another charmingly befuddled female lead, that find herself in the most insane situations, yet coming out roses on the other side. So... I began Surprise Me with every hope and expectation that the book I was embarking on would be the "feel good" novel I needed to kick off a new year. Instead, I was left with...

Sylvie and Dan appear to be the perfect couple. They finish each other's sentences, are seemingly the perfect couple, and successfully handle two young twins. For all intents and purpose, Sylvie and Dan have got the "it" other couples aspire to. This "it" they possess is challenged on their 10 year anniversary after their doctor delivers the good news of the possibility of them living 60+ years together as man and wife. 

The revelation of them living a very long life together sends them both into a panic. The thought of growing old together, having sex with only each other, and essentially living life together causes a panic, I'm still not sure I understand, that leads Sylvie to present the idea of surprising each other. These surprises are supposed to keep the spark alive but has, instead, driven Sylvie to be rummaging through a drawer in Dan's office. This rummage is where we are first introduced to her. 

So...before I dive into what I didn't like, I'll discuss my likes.

Insert cricket sounds here

That's not fair. Surprise Me contains Sophie Kinsella's witty charm that has captivated her fans through the "Shopaholic" series. As a fan of her previous work, I can say that this current read has some wit, a few awkward moments of hilarious angst, is littered with "interesting" characters, and a true concern that life with the one promised "'til death do you part" could actually mean something else. All these tools Kinsella has successfully used to her advantage up until now. I'll give her points for at least grabbing my interest for a good 73% of the novel.

With that being said, I only made it 73% in before I couldn't go any further. It's a new year. I know I wanted to bring in the new year with a fun read, but I didn't intend to bring in 2018 reading a novel that I just couldn't deal with anymore. Seriously! Sylvie was on a whole nother level of annoying. She went on and on about how amazing her deceased father was to the point that I wondered why she didn't marry him her self.

I get it! Believe me, I do! 

Her father died prematurely in a car accident and it shattered her world. We meet her two years later when the wounds are still fresh (and believe me, they're still fresh) and she can't help but compare Dan (the husband) to him especially since Dan can't seem to get on board with her odd lovefest. 

Look! I get it

My father died 07/04/2014 and I miss him more than anyone knows. My father was definitely not on the level of Sylvie's father in terms of "greatness" or "awesomeness" but to most women who know their father's, or those in the position of "dad" or "father", know without a doubt no other man can compare. The man we choose as our husband doesn't compare but we don't harp on that fact constantly.

Sylvie is so wrapped up in her obsession with her larger than life father that Dan's apprehension at the mere mentioning of him, incites annoyance in Sylvie instead of an understanding that her husband is tired of competing with a ghost. And yes! Sylvie knows that Dan's prideful and would rather avoid conversations involving her father and her wealthy upbringing, yet she never stops with the Daddy shit. Seriously!

Surprise Me ultimately morphs a charmingly befuddled protagonist into an annoying lead that is the ultimate reason I couldn't move forward. The operation "surprise me" backfires on Sylvie... and she becomes neurotic, insecure, concerned that their once seemingly inseparable bond is a lie and they really don't know each other at all.

I wish I could give Surprise Me a higher rating than a 2 but even that 2 was generous. I have rules I abide by as a reviewer that I try not to review any titles I haven't read at least 70% of. Also, if I'm abandoning the book as a DNF (did not finish) I will not do so unless I've read at least 70%. 

I know...

That math doesn't add up.

My point is this, I make an effort to read every title I'm presented for review. I was offered a review copy of Sophie Kinsella's based on whatever algorithm marketers and promoters use to find reviewers like me. I know my thoughts on Surprise Me won't cost her one single fan but I must be honest. My honest opinion is that the premise of surprising our mate to keep the thrill alive, is actually quite brilliant and interesting, yet, the execution here was lackluster. Sylvie just wasn't charming enough to hold this story together. I didn't like Sylvie, the narrator, one bit. She came off as a brat most of the read. I hate to say that but, Surprise Me was surprisingly lackluster. Kinsella's lead character is annoying at best, and nowhere near charming. 

Fans of Sophie Kinsella's can forgive this blunder... I will forgive this surprising blunder. 

BUT!

I wish my first read of the year was much better. Since it wasn't.... I'll move on to the next title I'm currently reading. **

Copy provided by Random House via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment