Monday, May 21, 2018

Review:Bring Me Back by B.A. Paris

Bring Me Back
I'm somewhere between a 3 and a 4 star rating with B.A. Paris' Bring Me BackBring Me Back is the story of a man who's seeming to rapidly descend into madness after discovering that his girlfriend, who he thinks may have died 12 years earlier, is back. The idea that she might be back is what clinches on to readers, but the fast moving pace of this read keeps the attention of readers, even when things start to go a little quirky.
Finn has found love again after the disappearance of his girlfriend. He's found this love in her older sister Ellen. With the hopes of moving on, they both have created a quiet, life together that's seemingly blissful, except for the ghost of Layla, that haunts them at every turn. Just because they don't mention her, doesn't mean she isn't a huge elephant in the room. With the announcement of their pending nuptials, things get a little bizarre.

The surfacing of Russian dolls, littered around their home, and neighborhood waiting to be found, force Finn to believe that the girlfriend he fears he ran away (or something worse) may be alive. He wants to see her badly. He's not sure if he wants her back but it's obvious that he's still tremendously in love with her.

Up until she starts sounding nuts...

B.A. Paris offers a psychological thriller that is a fun read. The small nuggets of information unfurling is enough to keep the attention of those who are in need of a quick read. This was totally going to be one of my books I start before I start the book I really want to read. Instead, I found that I was up until the wee hours of the night just trying to piece together the mystery of Layla and Finn.

All was good until the author decided that during a moment of angst, the antagonist would sit and right a long ass email explaining shit. PARIS, that just doesn't happen. Let me sit and write at a computer for at least 30 minutes to an hour about what the hell is going on. Sorry but no! If I am on a time crunch and my world is about to be torn apart, I'm not writing a thing. Maybe I'll leave a text saying "Gotcha" but... nothing more.

Either way, Bring Me Back was a fun read. I wasn't expecting to be as engrossed in it as I was but, that's fine. It was worth the time spent trying to unlock the mysteries. Each chapter it's own Russian doll begging for the next doll to be revealed. ***

Copy Provided by St. Martin's Press via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment