Thursday, June 14, 2018

Review: Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen by Sarah Bird

Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen

I took my time reading Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss this harrowing tale of a former slave woman posing as male in the army. It's women like Cathay Williams that have paved the way without recognition (or even belief), but more on that later.
We're introduced to the narrator Cathay Williams as she explains that she wants to tell her story to a reporter and hopes that he gets it right. She wants us to know that she is no southerner nor is she common. Cathay is a force to be reckoned with as she served in the United States Union army during a time when women weren't even allowed to enlist. Women really served as nothing more than the men's cooks, servants, or sex slaves. 

After meeting and falling in love with a dying soldier, Cathay is inspired to continue on with the newly formed Union Army formed of black men after spending time as a cook for General Phillip Sheridan. When the Civil War ends, Cathay enlists under another name and embarks upon a journey that if both terrifying and inspiring.

Sarah Bird manages to bring to life a story that many aren't familiar with. I'd never even really considered the place of women during war times except in the periphery acquiring roles of servitude. And yes, Daughter of a Daughter of a Queenis inspired by Cathay Williams true-life story which I also found captivating because if it weren't for this title, I would have never come across someone like her.

In an effort to balance Cathay's rough edges, Bird provides a love story. I get the point but when I think about women and our place in life, our stories are coupled with some man that helps push it forward instead of allowing us the freedom to be our own powerful, strong selves. The love story does push this novel forward and offer it some girth since history would rather erase tales such as Cathay's. I guess the love story would be my one gripe with the story line. Yes it was interesting and well written, yet Cathay would have been great without the love story.

If the love story is in fact in the newspaper Cathay was interviewed in... then by all means... I still feel it was unnecessary. (LOL) 

Suffice it to say Cathay Williams encompasses a brave I will never know. Sarah Bird's Daughter of a Daughter of a Queen is a worthwhile read and I'm happy to have had the opportunity to read it. For those who read this and think there will be a Mulan feel to it, you will be pleasantly surprised. There's nothing pleasant about Private Cathay Williams. ****

Copy provided by St. Martin's press via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment