Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Review: Run Away by Harlan Coben

Run Away

Harlan Coben is one of my favorite writers and Run Away is proof of why he still deserves that title. Coben manages to place the every-man in situations that are seemingly impossible, mixes in a lot of danger, some homicidal maniacs, and serves it to us fans on steaming hot plate of 300 or 400 pages or so.


Run Away moves at breakneck speed as Simon tries to save his oldest daughter who's been drawn in to a world of drugs and addiction. After her boyfriend is killed, Simon and his wife Ingrid, go deep into the gritty underworld that controls them. The only problem is that, Simon and Ingrid aren't the only ones looking for their daughter.

I admit that Harlan Coben sticks to a certain formula that works for him. He usually has a 40+ year old man who's been thrust into impossible circumstances and is forced to give it all he's got. If he doesn't, well he just might be killed, go to jail, or be framed for some other insane outcome. I like this formula especially since Coben never makes it boring. Sure, some of his titles are better than others, but his stories rarely let me down. I know that when I open a Harlan Coben novel I am in for a wild ride that few other authors are capable of.

Sure, I feel that the people chasing after Simon's daughter were a little thin and their reason for chasing Paige was a little far=fetched, it did not negate that the Run Away was still a fun read.

Ultimately, I couldn't runaway from Coben's latest once I started it. Run Away is classic Coben and his fans are likely to enjoy this thriller as well. ****

Copy provided by Grand Central Publishing via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment